Hosting Issues

blks blake_star at email.msn.com
Mon Sep 20 22:58:58 UTC 1999

Hello, and thank you in advance for any help relating to the following
question.

I have been using RedHat Linux for about one year now for development of a
few
Internet sites, and currently host with a company back east. The service of
this
company is about the poorest I have ever seen in a company and am looking at
possibly hosting on my own in my office. I know the basics of the hosting
set-up
but need help in going beyond this and establishing my own system. Is their
any
web sites or better yet books that you can recommend that would walk through
the
entire process of setting up a small hosting system. When I say walk
through, I
mean the entire process. From the building the system to the firewall, then
Apache
to Routers and the establishing the Internet connection and using DNS.

One of my biggest questions relates to DNS. If I have a dedicated ISDN line
128k,
through GTE TELEPHONE company. I use them as my ISP, must I then use their
DNS servers
to point to my system? or do I set-up my own primary and secondary DNS
servers with
Inter-NIC and everyone will be able to see me?