Hosting Issues

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Tue Sep 21 00:24:33 UTC 1999

    >> One of my biggest questions relates to DNS. If I have a
    >> dedicated ISDN line 128k, through GTE TELEPHONE company. I use
    >> them as my ISP, must I then use their DNS servers to point to
    >> my system? or do I set-up my own primary and secondary DNS
    >> servers with Inter-NIC and everyone will be able to see me?

You can use whatever name servers you want and configure your name
servers any way you choose. Having said that it's usually a good idea
to get your ISP to provide at least one name server for your domain(s).
They should have the resources - skilled people, 24x7 monitoring,
hardware, etc - to make a good job of providing a reliable name server.

It's usually not a good idea to advertise name servers that are being
dial-up links. Every time something looks up a name in your domain,
the dial-up line is brought up (=> $$ for the phone company) so the
queries can reach your name server. This can also be slow: answering
the phone and doing the CHAP/PAP/PPP handshaking and/or callback takes
time. By all means run name servers locally to serve local lookups,
but you probably want name servers that are permanently on the net to
handle lookups for your domains from the rest of the net.