Bind 4 to 8 upgrade problem.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 29 21:03:51 UTC 1999

In article <Pine.LNX.3.93.990929142151.5244A-100000 at longbeach.goldinc.com>,
Eric Ladner  <eladner at longbeach.goldinc.com> wrote:

>When updating my bind version from 4 to 8 I ran into a sticky problem.
>
>Basically, I'm using the exact same db.* files as before, I just have a
>named.conf file that is an 8ifyed version of my version 4 script.
>
>The problem is this:
>
>On a seperate client machine, I have a resolv.conf file like this:
>
>-----
>search sub.domain.com domain.com
>nameserver 192.168.12.180
>----
>
>There is a host called portal say that is in the master domain (i.e.
>portal.domain.com) and I can do a 'nslookup portal' and everything works
>great.
>
>After I switch to version 8 (only changed conf file) 'nslookup portal' no
>longer works.  Upstream dns servers in db.cache have not changed.  I
>switched back to version 4 (still same db.* files) and it works again.
>
>A debug nslookup looks like this using version 8 on the server:

It looks like BIND 8 encountered an error when trying to load the db file
for sub.domain.com.  Its log should contain the error messages that explain
why it couldn't load the domain.

With the limited information you've posted (you didn't post your db or conf
files) I can't provide any more information.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com