forwarders

Johnny Fribert Lauridsen jlaurids at cisco.com
Sat Apr 1 11:17:27 UTC 2000

At 00:49 01/04/2000 -0800, Bill Manning wrote:
>what features do you think are out there and not in the IETF process?
>multimaster DNS is an -old- idea.
>microsoft has a DNS implementation that is "genetically" diverse from BIND. this is a good thing.

I do not know for sure,  but I do communicate with a lot of companies IT departments, and
here are some of the issues that often pops-up (I am not claiming that it would be a good idea for ietf to
look into all this, but I am saying that these are issues that I hear about - my point being that if it is important
to many, it may be worth looking in to.  But naturally, there is no need to standardize everything...):
* dns load balancing with multiple selectable algorithms
* dns redundancy (like multimaster dns, or maybe primary dns failover, maybe like dhcp failover, but for dns).
    It is popping up more and more in these ddns days.
* Controlled subnet-sorting.  What I think is meant, is an
    advanced form of subnet-sorting, based on some if/then logic.
* dns company merger facilities.  For example for specific domains or domains covered with regular expressions, or
    wildcards, select a specific dns server or servers, bypassing normal dns resolution behaviour.
* Localization - I think this is meant a little deeper than the underscore problem and maybe NLS character issues
This is from memory.  I think I have some notes somewhere with some more.
Have a nice weekend,
Johnny
Bill: Pls. do not hit me with market caps and corporate mission statements again.  I got really confused :-)