forwarders

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Mon Apr 3 16:09:16 UTC 2000

% * dns load balancing with multiple selectable algorithms

	RR is predominate, others have been proposed and even
	implemented. Daisy Chen did one for IBM that never
	escaped, David Barr has had one in active use that
	predates RoundRobin.

% * dns redundancy (like multimaster dns, or maybe primary dns failover, maybe like dhcp failover, but for dns).

	See T.P.Briscos RFC on this.

% * Controlled subnet-sorting.  What I think is meant, is an
%     advanced form of subnet-sorting, based on some if/then logic.

	I have no idea what this means.

% * dns company merger facilities.  For example for specific domains or domains covered with regular expressions, or
%     wildcards, select a specific dns server or servers, bypassing normal dns resolution behaviour.

	See the DNAME work that is undergoing standardization. Available
	in the BINDv9 beta trials now.

% * Localization - I think this is meant a little deeper than the underscore problem and maybe NLS character issues

	Have you checked out the multi-lingual work in progress?
	Thirteen (13!) non-interoperable versions are out there.
	Standardization would help out here. The IDN working group
	is spinning up to do just this.

% This is from memory.  I think I have some notes somewhere with some more.
% Have a nice weekend,
% Johnny

--
--bill