unapproved update

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 3 08:30:01 UTC 2000

In article <38E44F12.9A58D6E0 at tom.com>, tom <tom at microsoft.com> wrote:

>My running DNS is Bind version 8.1.2. Recently following message
>returned in the named log file:
>Mar 31 14:44:08 dns named[14072]: unapproved update from
>[202.96.145.171].4787 for health.com.hk
>
>When this happens, the named become hanged. I need to kill it and
>restart it.
>
>Does anybody can hep to explain the message and tell me how to solve it.

I can't explain why named hangs (though you should upgrade to 8.2.2p5) but
the common reasons for "unapproved update" messages are Windows 2000 and
MacOS 9 machines in your vicinity.  Have a look at
<http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/~ercm20/networking-tips.html#ddns> for what you
can do to stop them trying to send updates.

--
Sam Wilson
Network Services Division, Computing Services