unapproved update

bounce at holiday.home.org bounce at holiday.home.org
Mon Apr 3 19:57:22 UTC 2000

Sam Wilson <Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> I can't explain why named hangs (though you should upgrade to 8.2.2p5) but
> the common reasons for "unapproved update" messages are Windows 2000 and
> MacOS 9 machines in your vicinity.  Have a look at
> <http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/~ercm20/networking-tips.html#ddns> for what you
> can do to stop them trying to send updates.

I'm in the same situation (although my named fortunately doesn't hang).
However, I have no control over the misconfigured W2K and MacOS machines -
I get about 5000+ unapproved dynamic update requests per day sent to my
nameserver (ns1.home.org).  I've tried e-mailing the people concerned -
either to the SMTP port of that machine (if it's listening) or to the
hostmaster/postmaster of the domain in question - but no luck so far.
Anyway, there are far too many machines misconfigured with "home.org"
as their domain for me to e-mail everyone.

I assume that there's nothing I can do other than to turn off the syslog
messages appearing.  I don't know whether bind replies to each of these
requests (consuming outgoing bandwidth) or, as I hope, silently drops
it and logs the attempt only ?

   - John, bounce at cerebus.demon.co.uk