unapproved update

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Apr 3 20:59:01 UTC 2000

In article <slrn8ehtro.q3.bounce at holiday.home.org>,
 <bounce at cerebus.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>I assume that there's nothing I can do other than to turn off the syslog
>messages appearing.  I don't know whether bind replies to each of these
>requests (consuming outgoing bandwidth) or, as I hope, silently drops
>it and logs the attempt only ?

I wouldn't worry too much about the bandwidth.  Assuming about 100
bytes/message and 5,000 messages/day, it's an average of about 6 bytes/sec,
or twice that if there's a similar sized reply.  Even if they're not spread
out evenly, so that the actual rate is 10 times as much, it's still
miniscule compared to Ethernet and backbone bandwidths.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com