bind and diald

Johan Meiring jmeiring at pcservices.co.za
Tue Apr 4 17:31:50 UTC 2000

Hi named gurus

My setup is as follows:

- Local network 192.168.1.X
- Linux box with diald masquerading to internet
- Linux box runs named for local domain as well as cache zone.

For http requests from clients, the diald connection is triggered by a dns
query from the browser to the local named server running on the linux box.
The named running then does not find the answer in the cache and will to a
(few) non-recursive lookups to find the correct A record. (The lookup from
named to the internet triggers the dialup)

The problem is that the local named server gives up with a "domain not
found" before the diald connection is established.  Is there any way to tell
named to wait a bit longer for a response (from the first root server is
tries?) before giving up?

For resolver queries from the linux box itself, you can simply duplicate the
namerserver line in the resolv.conf file.  The linux box's resolver will
then retry the query, and succeeds the second time round because the link is
now up.

This trick does unfortunately not work with win9x.

I hope this all made sense and isn;t in a faq that I missed.

In short:  I need to make named wait longer before it gives up on resolving
a cache query for a dns client.  Any ideas, pointers, rtfms welcome.

Thanx

Johan Meiring