named chkconfig values

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Apr 4 21:06:07 UTC 2000

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 11:56:30PM -0500, Michael Slade wrote:
> Traced a problem with bind 8.2.2p5 not starting on reboot to what looks like
> an incorrect value for chkconfig on my RedHat 6.1 linux box.
>
> The chkconfig line in /etc/rc.d/init.d/named is
>
> chkconfig: - 55 45
>
> This seems to be missing a parameter.
>
> What is the correct (or a reasonable) set of values to have here?
>
> thanks
>
> Michael Slade
> mslade1 at rochester.rr.com

Never noticed that before.  You neglected to include the "# " at the
beginning - this is a COMMENT.

This is only looked at by the 'chkconfig' program.  A quick look at the
manual entry:
	man chkconfig
tells me that the three arguments up above mean:
	-	don't start it at any run level - should be something
		like 345 if you want it to start in run levels 3, 4,
		and 5
	55	start up in relative order 55 of 100
	45	shut down in relative order 45 of 100

I may have just manually installed the symlink from /etc/rc.d/init.d
to /etc/rc.d/rc[345].d/S55named or /etc/rc.d/rc[0126].d/K45named.  Or
'chkconfig' may have done it.  I'm not sure.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B