Values for data_size and stack_size

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Apr 4 21:45:41 UTC 2000

In article <bvkkesc4ufegq0n46khlk1komqcu5rb7pi at 4ax.com>,
Scott  <undertow at undertowcore.com> wrote:
>I'm compiling Bind8.2.2.5 for Solaris(SunOS 5.7) and would like to
>know what the default values for these src variable are:
>ns_config.c:    op->data_size = 0UL;    /* use system default */
>ns_config.c:    op->stack_size = 0UL;   /* use system default */
>ns_config.c:    op->core_size = 0UL;    /* use system default */
>

>I cannot find any info on the "system default" for these values.

Use the "limit" or "ulimit" command to see your system's settings.

>The src named.conf file list:
> datasize default;
> stacksize default;
> coresize default;
>
>Any ideas on what the default is or what is normal?

Datasize is often unlimited, so it's only limited by the amount of virtual
memory configured.  On my Solaris 2.6 system, stacksize is 8MB, with a hard
limit of 2GB; only deeply recursive applications are likely to need
enormous amounts of stack space, so this is rarely an issue.

Coresize usually defaults to unlimited.  You reduce it if you have a disk
space problem in named's directory.  Or if you don't plan on doing anything
with core dumps, you could set it to 0.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com