Mysql

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Wed Apr 5 00:00:34 UTC 2000

% >>>>> "Bill" == Bill Brigden <Bill at mastokes.co.uk> writes:
%
%     Bill> Hey all, I am after a patch for Bind (or another DNS server)
%     Bill> that allows me to use a Mysql database for the DNS Server. I
%     Bill> am unsure if such a patch is available and what exactly it
%     Bill> could keep on the database.
%
% I don't think any name server uses some kind of SQL for DNS lookups
% because accessing a database on disk is usually too slow. [A busy name
% server gets over 100 queries/second and if a database lookup can be
% done in a single disk I/O which takes 10ms....] Having said that,
% using a database could be useful for huge zones - like .com - that
% have large numbers of names that are rarely looked up. The commonly
% used ones could be held in memory after getting fetched from disk.
%
% BIND9 - currently in beta test - has hooks to allow zone data to be
% retrieved from a database with and access method such as SQL. However
% I'm not aware of any implementation which exploits these hooks.

        Not to harp too much on it, and its not mysql, and
        its not open source,  -- but UltraDNS does not use
        text files. It fabricates the query results directly
        from Oracle and is on par, speed-wise, with most current
        DNS implementations. Note alsoi that UltraDNS is not
	a bind varient. Its code base is genetically unique.

--bill