Mysql

Markus Stumpf maex-bind-users at Space.Net
Wed Apr 5 01:29:04 UTC 2000

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 12:44:10AM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Bill> Hey all, I am after a patch for Bind (or another DNS server)
>     Bill> that allows me to use a Mysql database for the DNS Server. I
>     Bill> am unsure if such a patch is available and what exactly it
>     Bill> could keep on the database.
>
> I don't think any name server uses some kind of SQL for DNS lookups
> because accessing a database on disk is usually too slow. [A busy name
> server gets over 100 queries/second and if a database lookup can be
> done in a single disk I/O which takes 10ms....] Having said that,
> using a database could be useful for huge zones - like .com - that
> have large numbers of names that are rarely looked up. The commonly
> used ones could be held in memory after getting fetched from disk.

There is BIND SQL.
    <URL:http://www.seawood.org/msql_bind/>
It supports MySQL and mSQL Database backends for bind to store zone
data.
I only know it exists. Never tried it, don't know how uptodate it is.
But as "Version requirements" state BIND-4.9.6 I assume it is not what
you are looking for.

There is also a SQL Bind 8 in the contrib tar archive of bind-8.2.2-P5.
( contrib/sqlbind-8/ ). This will however not work. For more information
have a look at
    <URL:http://bind.linuxos.net/>
It works with bind-8 and MySQL, but the author writes:
> 3/17/00 [ ... ] I dont' have time to work on it anymore [ ... ]

HTH,
	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:maex-sig at Space.Net | up screaming and you