can named service requests while reloading?

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Apr 5 00:57:12 UTC 2000

> In article <200004042145.QAA27516 at pvtest.cc.iastate.edu>,
> John Hascall  <john at iastate.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> My named does not service requests while reloading...It usually takes
> >> several minutes. Is this normal. We are using 8.2.2p5. Thanks.
> >
> >    This is normal, and it sucks.
>
> I thought that this was something that was changed between BIND 4 and BIND
> 8, and BIND 8 was supposed to be able to respond during "ndc reload".
>
> >    What we did was modify how named starts.
>
> Aren't we talking about reload, not restart?

	BIND 8 is single threaded.  Zone loads are atomic operations.

	"ndc reload zone" will cause just the zone in question to
	be reloaded, refesh checks will be triggered for the zone.
	The zone must already be configured.

	"ndc reload" will cause the server to reconfigure, reload
	all zones that are changed and initiate refresh checks for
	secondary zones.  This is performed atomically.

	"ndc reconfig" will cause the server to reconfigure, load
	new / unloaded / expired zones.  Loaded zones are not
	checked for modifications and refresh checks are not initiated.
	This is performed atomically.

	BIND 9 is multi-threaded.  Zone loads should take place in
	parallel to responding to queries provided the threads
	scheduler allows this to occur.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com