can named service requests while reloading?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Apr 5 15:46:14 UTC 2000

In article <200004050057.KAA07423 at bsdi.dv.isc.org>,
 <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote:
>	BIND 8 is single threaded.  Zone loads are atomic operations.

I knew this.  When I heard that reloads wouldn't block queries, I assumed
an implementation something like:

Fork a new process
Child process continues to service requests (using old data)
Parent process reloads
When parent is finished reloading, it kills child and services requests

However, now that I think about it, there could be problems with this
scheme if dynamic updates are received during the reload -- they'll be
processed by the child, but when the parent finishes reloading it won't
know about those changes.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com