Linux DNS and WinNT-Server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 5 21:17:22 UTC 2000

ChemSoft GmbH wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we have one WinNT 4.0 Server running that is the Primary DNS for over 1000
> Domains we host. Now we have installed a secondary DNS-Server using Linux
> und BIND 8. Our Network is 19x.3x.3x.x.
> In the named.conf i added the zone xxxx.in-addr.arpa. After restarting BIND
> 8 he transfered the zone from the NT-Server. Is that all we have to do for a
> secondary DNS? And is it secure if the primary DNS crashes?

If you want your Linux server to be queried when the NT server is down, then
you'll need to add NS records naming it to the delegations from the parent zone
and to the zone itself. Since you didn't identify exactly what zone you're
talking about, I cannot verify whether those NS records already exist.