Master/Slave DNS Question

peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu peter at icke-reklam.manet.dot..nu
Fri Apr 7 16:22:57 UTC 2000

encrypted at my-deja.com wrote:
> I currently have 5 dynamic + 1 static IP from my ISP.  I have my master
> DNS on the static IP but would like to put my web, mail server, and
> slave DNS on the dynamic IP's.  Is it possible to have a script update
> either the zone file on the master DNS server or is another possibility
> to named running on the web and mail server as slave DNS servers (and
> get rid of the slave DNS server by itself) and have the script update
> the zone file locally on that machine and have it broadcast that to the
> master DNS server?  My thinking was have "notify yes" on both the slave
> and master and then have the script update the zone (serial + IP) and
> then do an ndc reload.  Is this anywhere close to possible?

It might make more sense to use your static ip in a NAT-like device,
and redirect various services to other machines (possibly in 1918
address space). Thus all services *seems* to be located in
your sole static address, in real life you may place them on
any address behind.

In this scenario you don't even need the dynamic ip's.

As for the slave server, it should be located somewhere else, thats
the whole point of a secondary (beeing rechable whenever your network is
unavailable).

The last point (about "script updating zone file") , i do not understand
what you mean. Please clarify!

> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Welcome
Peter h
> Aaron

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Peter Håkanson
        Manet Networking      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
echo "peter (at) manet (dot) nu" | sed "s/(at)/@/g " | sed "s/(dot)/\./g"|sed "s/ //g"