bind-8.2.3-T2B after zone transfer error

Andrew J Cole A.J.Cole at cbl.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Apr 9 15:14:14 UTC 2000

I surmise that this problem is related to

 969.   [bug]           post process a zone load to remove any non-glue at
                        or below bottom of zone.

One of the zones which we slave (ac.uk) appears to have acquired an
error at the end of last week ...

Apr  7 16:20:32 cblslca named[23715]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bottom of zone: phys.strath.ac.uk/NS

after a zone transfer with these errors we start to see gethostbyname
failures.  I presume because the post process mentioned in 969 doesn't
clean up correctly.  When I remove the (slave) zone transfer and
stop/start there is no problem.

The other thing I notice in the logs is that our local zone with some
"_" hosts generates a different error message "owner name .. is invalid"
rather than "host name ... is invalid" in the case where we see the
"non-glue record.." errors.

... with the "non-glue record below bottom of zone" zone included in the
named.conf (the faulty ac.uk is loaded before our local zones) ..

Apr  9 16:06:22 cblslca named[6560]: owner name "dmd_sgi2.leeds.ac.uk" IN (secondary) is invalid - proceeding anyway

... with the "non-glue record below bottom of zone" zone trasfer removed
from the named.conf ...

Apr  9 16:06:40 cblslca named[6560]: host name "dmd_sgi2.leeds.ac.uk" (owner "235.128.11.129.in-addr.arpa") IN (secondary) is invalid - proceeding anyway

Andrew