sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN)

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 10 21:23:12 UTC 2000

    Nehali> Hi, My namserver is primary for about 20 domains. It's
    Nehali> logging the following repetitive error messages. What
    Nehali> exactly causes this error? In the DNS FAQ, there was some
    Nehali> mention of duplicate nameserver can cause this error. But
    Nehali> how do I figure out which domain has duplicate name
    Nehali> server?

    Nehali> Any ideas are appreciated.Thanks in advance, --nehali

    Nehali> Apr 10 09:55:00 ns1 named[22155]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on NS1.abc.COM?
    Nehali> Apr 10 09:55:00 ns1 named[22155]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on NS0.abc.COM?

Your name server found NS records which pointed at ns0.abc.com and
ns1.abc.com, but when it looked up these names, your server found that
they didn't exist. [The lookups got NXDOMAIN errors - "no such
host/domain" - returned.] This error has nothing to do with "duplicate
nameservers". The duplicate log messages can be explained by your name
server making more than one lookup for these name. I don't understand
how you arrived at the conclusion that a "duplicate nameserver" was
the cause of this problem, or could even be a problem. A duplicate
nameserver (ie slave/secondary) is fundamental to the operation of DNS
by avoiding a single point of failure.

    Nehali> PS: ns1.abc.com and ns0.abc.com *used tobe* the primary
    Nehali> for some of the domains that now my nameserver is the
    Nehali> primary for. I did make sure that ns1.abc.com is not a
    Nehali> primary for any of my domains. But I still get these error
    Nehali> messages!!

You probably forgot to update the zone files so that they didn't have
NS records for ns[01].abc.com after you moved their name servers. If
ns[01].abc.com were slave (secondary) servers for some zones, you have
to get the hostmasters for these zone to fix them. Check your zone
files and name server config files.