sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN)

Nehali Neogi nneogi at my-deja.com
Tue Apr 11 17:17:34 UTC 2000

Thanks Jim for you reply.Although, I'm still unclear about certain
things..
In article <7192.955401792 at gromit.rfc1035.com>,
  Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

>     Nehali> Hi, My namserver is primary for about 20 domains. It's
>     Nehali> logging the following repetitive error messages. What
>     Nehali> exactly causes this error? In the DNS FAQ, there was some
>     Nehali> mention of duplicate nameserver can cause this error. But
>     Nehali> how do I figure out which domain has duplicate name
>     Nehali> server?
>
>     Nehali> Any ideas are appreciated.Thanks in advance, --nehali
>
>     Nehali> Apr 10 09:55:00 ns1 named[22155]: sysquery: findns error
(NXDOMAIN) on NS1.abc.COM?
>     Nehali> Apr 10 09:55:00 ns1 named[22155]: sysquery: findns error
(NXDOMAIN) on NS0.abc.COM?

> Your name server found NS records which pointed at ns0.abc.com and
> ns1.abc.com, but when it looked up these names, your server found that
> they didn't exist. [The lookups got NXDOMAIN errors - "no such
> host/domain" - returned.] This error has nothing to do with "duplicate
> nameservers". The duplicate log messages can be explained by your name
> server making more than one lookup for these name. I don't understand
> how you arrived at the conclusion that a "duplicate nameserver" was
> the cause of this problem, or could even be a problem. A duplicate
> nameserver (ie slave/secondary) is fundamental to the operation of DNS
> by avoiding a single point of failure.

ok, I meant that at one point, I had two nameservers claiming to be
*primary* for the same domain. Could that have cause this error message?
Also, I have no reference of NS records which points to ns1.abc.com and
ns0.abc.com in my nameserver configuration.

>     Nehali> PS: ns1.abc.com and ns0.abc.com *used tobe* the primary
>     Nehali> for some of the domains that now my nameserver is the
>     Nehali> primary for. I did make sure that ns1.abc.com is not a
>     Nehali> primary for any of my domains. But I still get these error
>     Nehali> messages!!
>
> You probably forgot to update the zone files so that they didn't have
> NS records for ns[01].abc.com after you moved their name servers. If
> ns[01].abc.com were slave (secondary) servers for some zones, you have
> to get the hostmasters for these zone to fix them. Check your zone
> files and name server config files.

Again, ns[01].abc.com used to be the primary for some domains but I
removed the configuration on ns[01].abc.com so that they are no longer
primary. The problem is I get the above messages on my new nameserver.

Thanks again in advance,

--nehali

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.