domain does not resolve, but machine does

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 11 01:14:51 UTC 2000

Frank Revi wrote:

> Inexperienced user here.  I am running a primary DNS server for, say,
> domain.com.  The dns server is on machine.domain.com.  A whois search on
> domain.com returns machine.domain.com plus the two backup dns servers at
> the ISP.
>
> nslookup domain.com fails; nslookup machine.domain.com works.
>
> How can I get domain.com to properly resolve?  Thanks in advance...

How inexperienced are you? Did you know to actually define the zone on your
nameserver? If you didn't define the zone on your server, then maybe
machine.domain.com resolves only because the .com servers added it as a
"glue" record; maybe nothing exists for the domain except the glue record
and the delegation.

Alternatively, if you have defined the zone on your nameserver, perhaps
it's not defined correctly, or perhaps you're having trouble getting query
or response packets through a firewall or router. Do the backup DNS servers
at your ISP have any data for the zone? Have they been able to transfer the
zone successfully?

If you had actually used real names, maybe we could have already put our
finger on the problem.

In any case, I'd recommend obtaining a copy of the _DNS_and_BIND_ O'Reilly
book if you don't already have one.