masters for secondary zone unreachable? For ALL zones?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Apr 11 16:53:14 UTC 2000

    Ralf> I'm a little puzzled. I keep getting:
    Ralf> Apr 11 17:48:46 stahlw06 named[21512]: zoneref: Masters for secondary zone "rz.tu-bs.de" unreachable
    Ralf> Apr 11 17:48:51 stahlw06 named[21512]: zoneref: Masters for secondary zone "dul.maps.vix.com" unreachable

    Ralf> errors for ALL (!) slave zones my box is trying to load.

    Ralf> Facts: * BIND-8.2.2p5 on HP-UX 10.20
    Ralf> * named is started chrooted as user named, group named: exec
    Ralf> * even when starting as user root (I omit "-u named -g
    Ralf> named") it cannot load the zones
    Ralf> * It can load the zones it's master for and does notify it's
    Ralf> slaves
    Ralf> * /zones/slave/* in the chroot-jail have been deleted, so a
    Ralf> zone transfer must be performed

Does /usr/lib/named-xfer (or whatever its pathname is called in your
flavour of HP-UX) live in your chroot jail? The name server has to
fork and exec this for its slave zones.

What happens when you try transferring these zones by hand (with the
debugging turned up)? What happens when you do this in your chroot'ed
environment? Maybe there's an Important File like a shared C library
that's missing from your chroot jail which prevents a successful exec
of named-xfer or causes it to die horribly after it starts?

Another possibility: Perhaps there be a connectivity problem like an
overly restrictive access list on a router/firewall that blocks
outgoing zone transfers?