CName Terminology Question

Walt Brannon walt at web-3.com
Thu Apr 13 11:03:56 UTC 2000

	I know this is a very small point, but I see this used in ways that is
ambiguous on this list so I thought I would ask to get it straight.

	In the zone file for bar.com we can have these two types of records (among
others):  A records and Cname records.

	I have alwyas thought that an A record pointed TO an IP address  ie,
37.124.19.7 and I thought that a CName record pointed to the Cannocical
Name, ie, domain.com  so then "foo" in foo.bar.com is not the CName but the
alias to the Canonical Name.

	I see the use of "the alias (cname) ...." that it is confusing.

For example:

bar.com 		IN A 37.124.19.7
foo.bar.com.  	IN A 37.124.19.7

foo.bar.com.   	IN CName   bar.com

These will all work, but is the "Cname" the part on the left or the part on
the right in the line above?

Which is correct?

Walt