Master and Slave on one server

Jim Howard jhoward at lyceum.net
Fri Apr 14 21:08:44 UTC 2000

A single instance of BIND can act as master for some zones,
and slave for other zones, but it cannot act as a slave
to itself as a master.

> ----server named[105]: /etc/named.conf:137: cannot redefine zone
> 'mydom.co.uk' class IN
> ----server named[105]: /etc/named.conf:145: cannot redefine zone
> '68.202.212.in-addr.arpa' class IN

> server named[105]: listening on [127.0.0.1].53 (lo)
> server named[105]: listening on [*.68.201.211].53 (eth0)
> server named[105]: listening on [*.68.201.212].53 (eth0:1)
> server named[105]: Forwarding source address is [0.0.0.0].1024
> server named[106]: Ready to answer queries.
>
> Am I doing the wrong thing? Should I run two Bind binaries? I
> have tried
> giving the slave files another name but this doesn't seem to work.

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish here...

Is the point simply to have two IP addresses responding to DNS lookups?
If so, then your "listen on" above has already done this, and your
server as master will respond on both IP addresses.

If you are trying to test something, and actually need to
configure both a master and slave on one physical server
(to make sure the config works or whatever),
then you would have to run two instances of bind, each listening
on a single IP address only.

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard           howardj at psi.net      jhoward at lyceum.net
Sr Network Engineer                       404.248.1733
Lyceum Internet, a PSINet Company         http://www.lyceum.net/

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.net/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt