Master and Slave on one server

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Apr 15 17:29:51 UTC 2000

    >> I think I can guess: InterNIC requires two servers in a
    >> registration, but he only has one machine.  He's using virtual
    >> addressing to pretend to be two machines to satisfy InterNIC.

    Lincoln> Actually why is there such a _requirement_?
    Lincoln> A lot of companies only have one connection to the
    Lincoln> Net. If that goes down, is it really useful to have
    Lincoln> another DNS server elsewhere on the Net?

Yes.

    Lincoln> I suppose the latter will cause emails to be queued up
    Lincoln> instead of bouncing with 5XX errors, but is that all?

No, but that's enough reason on its own for having two name servers.
It's also rather stupid to have an easily avoidable single point of
failure. Then you could consider things like troubleshooting and
network management. Having the ability to translate an IP address to a
hostname or vice versa can be rather useful even when that host is
unreachable.