secondary dns

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 18 17:32:06 UTC 2000

In article <38FC1117.882DDB5C at fsksm.utm.my>, isman  <isman at fsksm.utm.my> wrote:
>  lets  say that i have a domain mine.com and the  primary dns server
>is  mine.com. How should I configure the secondary dns server? In bind
>4, it has a file /etc/named.boot which stated clearly which is primary
>and  secondary dns server. I have copied the  primary files and put it
>inside the secondary server, but not much succes. need help!
>kukuls

In BIND 4, you configure a secondary DNS server with the line:

secondary mine.com <address of primary server> db.mine.com

In BIND 8 you do it with:

zone "mine.com" {
  type slave;
  masters { <address of primary server>; };
  file "db.mine.com";
};

You shouldn't need to copy the primary files yourself, the secondary server
creates the files automatically.

All this is in the DNS & BIND book.  If you're operating a DNS server
there's no excuse for not having this.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA