Bind 4 question.. Disabling World lookups..

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu Apr 20 21:06:50 UTC 2000

> I have a server which is both an MX and a primary NS for our domain.  What
> I'd like to do is disable named from resolving queries except for the
local
> domain, but I'd still like the Mail software to be able to resolve MX
> queries for outgoing mail.

I described some setups like this in
http://www.acmebw.com/papers/securing.pdf.

> I tried removing the cache/./db.cache entry in named.boot, and then
pointing
> the local resolv.conf file back to a server which can do world lookups for
> MX queries on the local machine.

That's close.  If you have a BIND 4.9 name server, you
could just turn recursion off with:

options no-recursion

You might want to put the cache directive back at that
point, just so named doesn't squawk at you.

> It would seem, however, that if named doesn't have a cache entry in
> named.boot it uses the local resolv.conf file to query the servers listed
> and provides information anyways.

No, that's not true.  named doesn't read resolv.conf.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.