DNS needed to register domain...

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Mon Apr 24 16:52:57 UTC 2000

>Unfortunately, dotster only lets you use 'registered' nameservers in

hey, not only at dotster...

>it's registration, and of course my box isn't registered yet. Someone
>out there must use their machine as it's own nameserver -- how is it
>done?

Easy. Now that you have a domain registered, you go back to dotster and
register two "HOST" machines, something like:

ns1.pushee.com

ns2.pushee.com

where they are your Linux hosts where you run BIND.

Once the HOSTs are regisgtered (it's free, and requires fixed public ip
addresses for each, because these HOST's A records go into the
root-servers), you can modify your pushee.com to list ns1 and ns2 as
authoritative for pushee.com, and all the domains you plan to host.

But you're right, "boostrapping" your first HOSTs registrations is kinda
foggy for most of us.

Len