And I was wondering why my nameserver went haywire

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 24 18:00:33 UTC 2000

In article <20000421223419.D35334 at lucifer.bart.nl>,
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven  <jruigrok at via-net-works.nl> wrote:
>dig @ns1.cwie.net any 61.230.240.207.in-addr.arpa

dig just says "ns_initparse: Message too long" when I try it.

>Already mailed the admins.
>
>How do you guys deal with stuff like this?  I mean, I mailed the admins,
>told them they are lame for doing something as stupid as mapping X hosts
>to one PTR record.  But what if they don't change their act?

Then I guess you'll have to go elsewhere for your porn.

You could make your local nameserver authoritative for the
61.230.240.207.in-addr.arpa zone, and put a single PTR record pointing to
hadar.cwie.net in it.

>For the time being I blackholed ns1.cwie.net because my logfile was
>filling up like mad.

I wonder why you're doing so many lookups of this address.  Our nameservers
have only logged 24 "TCP truncated" messages for that entry in the past 3
days.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA