And I was wondering why my nameserver went haywire

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven jruigrok at via-net-works.nl
Tue Apr 25 11:41:52 UTC 2000

-On [20000424 20:10], Barry Margolin (barmar at genuity.net) wrote:
>In article <20000421223419.D35334 at lucifer.bart.nl>,
>Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven  <jruigrok at via-net-works.nl> wrote:
>>dig @ns1.cwie.net any 61.230.240.207.in-addr.arpa
>
>dig just says "ns_initparse: Message too long" when I try it.

Which dig would that be?  This is the 8.2.2-p5 one and I get a 2000 PTR
records back =\

>>Already mailed the admins.
>>
>>How do you guys deal with stuff like this?  I mean, I mailed the admins,
>>told them they are lame for doing something as stupid as mapping X hosts
>>to one PTR record.  But what if they don't change their act?
>
>Then I guess you'll have to go elsewhere for your porn.

ROFL! =)

>You could make your local nameserver authoritative for the
>61.230.240.207.in-addr.arpa zone, and put a single PTR record pointing to
>hadar.cwie.net in it.

Yeah, but it would be better if these guys fix their DNS. =)

>>For the time being I blackholed ns1.cwie.net because my logfile was
>>filling up like mad.
>
>I wonder why you're doing so many lookups of this address.  Our nameservers
>have only logged 24 "TCP truncated" messages for that entry in the past 3
>days.

No idea.  Obviously lots of our clients like to watch pr0n or something.
*hides his $HOME/pr0n* ;)

I am not concerned with the implications of the TCP truncated part, but
moreso with those messages filling up our logs.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<jruigrok at via-net-works.nl>            VIA Net.Works The Netherlands