domain and subdomain problem

Prashant Ranade pranade at gigabitwireless.com
Tue Aug 29 17:49:33 UTC 2000

Hello,
I have a domain abc.com and sub domain xxx.abc.com
I have two nameservers for both these domains with a delegation record in
abc.com's zone file pointing to the xxx.abc.com's name server. and a zone for
xxx.abc.com in abc.com's /etc/named.conf with a forwarders...
these two zones are in two different subnets, say 1.1.1.0 and 2.2.2.0
respectivly.

whenever I do a nslookup pointing to the nameserver of abc.com and ask a
resolution for any host in xxx.abc.com domain, It gets resolved properly but I
get a error in /var/log/messages file as below :
Aug 29 11:03:32 "servername" named[13963]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
2.2.2.5.abc.com?
where 2.2.2.5 is the nameserver for the xxx.abc.com which is being pointed to
by a delegation record in abc.com's zone file.

what I understand from this is named is not able to find that machine in
abc.com's domain. which is true because the machine is in xxx.abc.com domain
and even on seperate subnet.

is this error ok? can it be just ignored? can there be any problem in this
configuration?

TIA
Prashant