Secondary Name Server definition

Adrian Stovall AdrianS at pfk.com
Tue Aug 29 22:13:20 UTC 2000

	You can assign two IP addresses to your single machine (known as IP
aliasing, or virtual IP addressing).  If you have a reserved range of IP's,
I'm assuming that either a).  you plan on adding more machines to your
network (in which case, I would advise you to set one aside as a secondary
DNS server) or b). you plan on your web server also answering DNS requests,
in which case, redundant DNS machines won't matter...if the site's down, the
DNS is probably down too.

	In situation a, IP aliasing doesn't make much sense, in situation b,
it won't be any worse than if your web server crashes.

	What operating system are you planning on using?  That little bit of
info will go a long way towards my giving a more informative answer.