RELAYING DENIED -PLS HELP

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 31 07:32:52 UTC 2000

    >> We have problem with our sister company DMFI.com in uk. They
    >> cannot send mail to us. They get a message of "550 relaying
    >> denied" from our isp info.com.ph (problem lingering for two
    >> weeks now).

This is really a mail problem. Your mail system believes that mail
from dmfi.com is being relayed through your server to other remote
mail systems. That's generally not allowed: see http://www.orbs.org
and http://www.mail-abuse.org. You'll need to consult your mail
system's documentation and the log files to find out why it's behaving
like that.

    >> I am sending this problem to this list since a friend of mine
    >> told me it's probably a dns problem

Well DNS could have a role in this. Mail for dmfi.com is supposed to
be delivered to mail.dmfi.com (194.154.176.34). Presumably this is the
system which sends outbound mail from that company. Reverse lookups of
that IP address don't work. Mail systems do a reverse lookup of the IP
address that connects to them. If that lookup fails, some mail systems
may decide to reject the incoming mail. The rationale there is that if
the reverse lookups don't work, the sending system is probably a
spammer and their mail is not worth accepting. Perhaps that's the
cause of the problem?