bind vs djbdns

D. J. Bernstein 75628121832146-bind at sublist.cr.yp.to
Thu Aug 31 08:24:43 UTC 2000

Benjamin Madsen writes:
> creating traffic on this mailing list

I didn't start this discussion. I wouldn't have said anything if there
hadn't been so much misinformation posted by certain people who, by a
strange coincidence, have strong financial interests in BIND.

> Quit trying to push your product based on the premise that it will save a
> few minutes of somebody's time.

Ease of use is more than just a time-saver. It also reduces errors. It
gives you confidence that your actions will have the desired results. I
don't want to worry about trailing dots, for example, or worry about
failure notices hidden in a log file somewhere.

Anyway, ease of use is only one of the reasons that people are switching
to djbdns. See http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/ad.html for more reasons. The
decisive issue for many people is that the BIND company is scared to
offer a cash reward for security holes.

---Dan