RFC 2317 Aliases in addr.arpa zone pointing to PTR records, was [Re: Simple Delegation Question]

birgitt birgitt at cais.com
Wed Aug 2 00:15:13 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
To: Comp-Protocols-Dns-Bind <comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: Simple Delegation Question

> This fact could result in political/administrative problems if the
> Win2K support staff, for example, want to manage *their* addresses and the
> support staff for the existing machines want to manage *their* addresses, on
> different DNS servers, all in the same /24 aka a C-class address space. In this
> case, you have to pick one DNS server to be the master and then use a
> technique, described in RFC 2317, whereby you create aliases in the
> regular in-addr.arpa zone, pointing to PTR records in a zone controlled by the
> other organization.

My ISP doesn't want to use the method described in RFC2317 to delegate
me management of my /27 sub-C-class IP range on my own primary name server.

They want me to write out an in-addr.arpa zone file for the _complete_ class C
and then they want to redelegate my sub IP range back to me.

Would that work ? I am confused as to which primary name servers I should point
then my in-addr.arpa file, to mine or to their's. So far I didn't get an answer.
But does their suggestion work ?