RFC 2317 Aliases in addr.arpa zone pointing to PTR records, was [Re: Simple Delegation Question]

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 2 00:39:35 UTC 2000

birgitt wrote:

> [...]

I assume by "redelegate" you mean that they intend to create an NS record for every
address in your /27 range? This only works properly if you create and maintain a
separate zone for each address. If you make your server master for the entire
C-class, as they suggest, then the Authority Section of your responses won't match
the zone to which the querying nameserver was referred, and this is likely to be
detected and/or rejected as an error. At the very least, by setting your server up
as master for the C-class, you'll be "blinding" it to other PTR's on the C-class,
unless you want to shoulder the burden of constantly checking the real C-class for
adds/changes/deletes and keeping your fake version in sync. Bleah.

How hard can it be, really, for them to modify their tools to support RFC 2317? It
is a Best Current Practice, after all; are they not a Best Current ISP?