Intermittent "rcode = SERVFAIL" error on certain domains with BIND 4.9

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 2 22:53:31 UTC 2000

I can resolve the MX record, but it took over 5 seconds. I suspect that other
nameservers are timing out intermittently. Also, all of the records in the response
had a TTL of 10 minutes, which exacerbates the problem by forcing other nameservers
to constantly resolve idmail.com all of the way from the "com" servers, adding
latency.

You might want to look at getting your domain served by faster and/or
better-connected servers, and/or getting the TTL's on those records up to something
a little more reasonable.

- Kevin