Secondary Domain Server Question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 2 23:05:07 UTC 2000

A slave server is expected to have a reasonably up-to-date copy of the
whole zone at all times. So you should either configure it as a slave and
use the normal DNS zone-transfer mechanism to automatically keep its copy
of the zone up to date, or configure it as a master and provide your own
method of replicating the data. If don't configure it as a master or
slave, then it is a "lame" server and shouldn't even be in the NS list
for the zone.

- Kevin