Listing of top-level

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 3 17:34:15 UTC 2000

     > I want to get a list of *fr domains, but I am unable to do it.

     > When I go to any DNS which provides the *fr domains (ns.eu.net
     > etc.) and type in nslookup 'ls -d fr' I get the message 'Can't
     > list domain fr: Query refused'

Presumably the name servers for .fr are rejecting zone transfer
requests for that zone that come from unapproved addresses. Most
top-level domain servers do this. It's usually done for a combination
of anti-spam and operational reasons. [These servers should not be
burdened by handing out top-level domains to the whole world.] If you
want a a copy of the .fr zone, ask nic at nic.fr and if you have a
convincing reason, they will probably make it available to you via ftp
but not via a zone transfer.