Quick question about Host records

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Aug 9 02:22:21 UTC 2000

At 08:39 PM 08/08/00 -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>The whole point of having multiple NS'es is for redundancy, if they're the
>same IP address, what kind of redundancy is that?

Oh, you misunderstood me.  I do have multiple name servers running.

Ok, here's what I'm asking: Two different zones hank.org and example.com.
The two name servers (.170 & .174) handle both zones.  It's just that the
each go by two different names.

So look at hank.org:

> dig hank.org ns
;; ANSWER SECTION:
hank.org.               1D IN NS        ns1.hank.org.
hank.org.               1D IN NS        ns2.hank.org.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.hank.org.           1D IN A         63.205.225.170
ns2.hank.org.           1D IN A         63.205.225.174

Now get example.com's NS records:

> dig example.com
;; ANSWER SECTION:
example.com.               1D IN NS        ns1.example.com.
example.com.               1D IN NS        ns2.example.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.example.com.           1D IN A         63.205.225.170
ns2.example.com.           1D IN A         63.205.225.174

>I don't think it'll work anyway; I'm pretty sure that NSI "host records" need
>to have *unique* addresses. Even if it does work, it SHOULDN'T.

I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work.  But that's why I posted the
question.  What did you have in mind when you say it shouldn't work and why?

Thanks,

>Bill Moseley wrote:
>
>> I'm running ns1.hank.org and ns2.hank.org.
>>
>> I want to register a new domain name, example.com, and will be using the
>> ns1.hank.org and ns2.hank.org machines to serve the zone.
>>
>> Is there any reason I can't specify ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com as
>> example.com's name servers and just have ns1.example.com and ns1.hank.org
>> have the same IP number?  In other words, any reason (in NSI terms) that
>> two different "host records" can't have the same IP number?
>>
>> The only issue is that a reverse lookup will only show the PTR name I pick,
>> but I don't care about that.
>>
>> In other words, example.com will be virtual hosted on the same machine as
>> hank.org, yet I'd like "dig example.com ns" to return ns1.example.com and
>> ns2.example.com instead of ns1.hank.org and ns2.hank.org.
>>
>> I don't see any problems, but I'm asking just in case.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill Moseley
>> mailto:moseley at hank.org

Bill Moseley