Help with errors from Dlint?

Aaron Bush abush at columbus.rr.com
Sat Aug 12 00:31:20 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Reid" <jim at rfc1035.com>
To: "Aaron Bush" <abush at columbus.rr.com>
Cc: <bind-users at isc.org>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Help with errors from Dlint?

> Your zone files are a bit of a mess. The first thing is that your zone
> files only contain one NS record. That's a single point of failure:
> what if that one and only name server for these zones dies or becomes
> unreachable?

I agree and need to find someone else to do my DNS also.

> Your next error
> is that you have illegal MX records for these two zones. The target of
> an MX record is a hostname: a name that exists as an A record
> somewhere. You've supplied dotted-decimal strings that are presumably
> IP addresses. This is wrong. Oh and an MX preference value of 0 is
> probably not a good idea either: what if you need to install another
> MX record with a lower preference value?

AH!  I have changed them to all point to crvs.com which is what I want them
to go to and moved the preference value to 10, good idea.

>The next error is your
> (bogus) 233.210.204.in-addr.arpa zone. This isn't delegated to you, so
> you shouldn't be claiming ownership of it.
> Not that it matters because the rest of the world won't use
> your name server to lookup that PTR record. They'll get the answer
> from your ISP: dhcp233254.columbus.rr.com. So either they change their
> PTR record to have your chosen hostname

Would this be the easiest solution for both me and them?  After they update
their PTR to point to crvs.com (what I want it to resolve to) I would then
remove the portion of my named.conf that is deleagating for
233.210.204.in-addr.arpa (since it isn;t doing anythign now anyway) and that
would be it?

> or else they do RFC2317
> delegation of 254.233.210.204.in-addr.arpa to your name server(s).
> And since your bogus zone file has no PTR records for 0, 1, 2, ...
> 253.233.210.204.in-addr.arpa, it's hardly surprising that reverse
> lookups to your server for the other IP addresses in 204.210.233/24
> fail.

I'm not fimilair with this setup, would this basically say that for the
254.233.210.204.in-addr.arpa zone send all requests to me instead of using
their db files?  Basically allowing me to control what would happen if
someone did a nslookup 204.210.233.254?

Thanks for the help,
-ab