Help with errors from Dlint?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Aug 12 08:56:47 UTC 2000

    >> So either they change their PTR record to have your chosen hostname

    Aaron> Would this be the easiest solution for both me and them?

Maybe, manybe not. It's the least effort in terms of DNS
administration because only 1 PTR record has to be changed. However
documenting that change and perhaps changing their administrative
procedures (and documenting them!) could be a lot of work. It might
also complicate things for your ISP and for you: for instance what do
you do if reverse lookups of your IP address don't return the correct
name? What do you and the ISP do if/when you want to rename that host?

    Aaron> After they update their PTR to point to crvs.com (what I
    Aaron> want it to resolve to) I would then remove the portion of
    Aaron> my named.conf that is deleagating for
    Aaron> 233.210.204.in-addr.arpa (since it isn;t doing anythign now
    Aaron> anyway) and that would be it?

    >> or else they do RFC2317 delegation of
    >> 254.233.210.204.in-addr.arpa to your name server(s).  And since
    >> your bogus zone file has no PTR records for 0, 1, 2, ...
    >> 253.233.210.204.in-addr.arpa, it's hardly surprising that
    >> reverse lookups to your server for the other IP addresses in
    >> 204.210.233/24 fail.

    Aaron> I'm not fimilair with this setup, would this basically say
    Aaron> that for the 254.233.210.204.in-addr.arpa zone send all
    Aaron> requests to me instead of using their db files?  Basically
    Aaron> allowing me to control what would happen if someone did a
    Aaron> nslookup 204.210.233.254?

Yes, though the zone that would be delegated to you probably wouldn't
be called 254.233.210.204.in-addr.arpa. Please read RFC2317.