My brain hurts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 14 22:39:42 UTC 2000

Andrew Mackay wrote:

> Couldn't find a Mac-specific DNS group but I think the questions I have
> are probably a piece of cake from what I can gather after reading some
> of the posts by you pros.
>
> I have a couple of questions.
> When I make changes to the NSI database it says that they've been
> completed, but some of them are over a week old and still show as they
> were prior to the changes. Their emails say that it could take as long
> as 48 hours before changes show up in the whois.
> Being new at this DNS stuff it makes it weed out possible problems by
> the process of elimination when you can't tell what's been updated and
> what hasn't.
> In particular, I've changed the record at NSI so that
> orchestratedintelligence.com has the following configuration:
> ns1.queenslandbeach.com 24.222.4.251
> ns2.queenslandbeach.com 24.222.4.190

Are you sure you submitted the correct change? NSI says the record last
changed on August 11, but it still reflects that ns1.queenslandbeach.com
and ns1.orchestratedintelligence.com are the nameservers for the domain.

> (I don't have ns2 configured yet-cause I haven't got ns1 working
> properly)
>
> I've been practising on a couple of domain names that don't do anything
> at the moment. Here is my dilemma.
> http://orchestratedintelligence.com works in a browser
> http://www.orchestratedintelligence.com doesn't.

http://www.orchestratedintelligence.com resolves just fine for me (as long
as I used ns1.queenslandbeach.com, of course), but I can't seem to contact
any webserver at the 24.222.4.251 address.

> I can't get maudlewis.com to do anything. (It has the exact same
> configuration at nsi that orchestratedintelligence.com has) I don't know
> why.

I can resolve that name just fine.

> Here's the query results for ns1's reverse mapping
>
> Query: 251.4.222.24.in-addr.arpa.   Query type: Any record
> Recursive query: Yes Authoritative answer: No
> Query time: 397 ms.  Server name: n/a
>
> The host or domain "251.4.222.24.in-addr.arpa." does not exist

> ..........and yet the following query for the next level up yields these
> results...
> Query: 4.222.24.in-addr.arpa. Query type: Any record
> Recursive query: Yes Authoritative answer: Yes
> Query time: 494 ms.  Server name: n/a
>
> Answer:
>    4.222.24.in-addr.arpa.  3600  NS z3.andara.com.
>    4.222.24.in-addr.arpa.  3600  NS m5.andara.com.
>    4.222.24.in-addr.arpa.  3600  SOA   z3.andara.com.
>             dnsadmin.andara.com.
>             2000072801  ; serial
>             14400 ; refresh (4 hours)
>             1800  ; retry (30 minutes)
>             1728000  ; expire (20 days)
>             3600  ; minimum (1 hour)
>
> Additional:
>    z3.andara.com. 3600  A  24.222.7.2
>    m5.andara.com. 3600  A  24.222.0.5
>
> Do I need to get andara to modify their records so that they delegate
> 251 and 190 to me, or am I doing something wrong on this end?

You, collectively, need to decide who is going to maintain those reverse
entries. If "andara" wants to maintain the entries, then they should just
create them in their zone. If you want to maintain them, and have the
entire 24.222.4.* assigned to you, then "andara" can delegate that zone to
your server(s). If you have only a chunk of 24.222.4.* assigned to you,
then either a) they need to delegate each individual entry in that range as
a separate zone to your server(s) (which could make for a lot of zones!),
or b) they need to follow something like RFC 2317, which just involves
creating CNAMEs in their zone pointing to PTRs in a zone you control.

> Does the following look right?
>
> ; <<>> DiG 2.1 <<>> @ns1.queenslandbeach.com
> orchestratedintelligence.com. axfr
> ; (1 server found)
> orchestratedintelligence.com. 172800   SOA   ns1.queenslandbeach.com.
> dnsadmin.queenslandbeach.com. (
>          2000081211  ; serial
>          14400 ; refresh (4 hours)
>          1800  ; retry (30 mins)
>          604800   ; expire (7 days)
>          7200 )   ; minimum (2 hours)
> orchestratedintelligence.com. 7200  NS ns1.queenslandbeach.com.
> orchestratedintelligence.com. 7200  NS ns2.queenslandbeach.com.
> orchestratedintelligence.com. 7200  A  24.222.4.251
> orchestratedintelligence.com. 7200  HINFO Power Mac   MacOS 9.04
> orchestratedintelligence.com. 7200  MX 10 mail.queenslandbeach.com.
> www.orchestratedintelligence.com.   7200  CNAME
> orchestratedintelligence.com.
> orchestratedintelligence.com. 172800   SOA   ns1.queenslandbeach.com.
> dnsadmin.queenslandbeach.com. (
>          2000081211  ; serial
>          14400 ; refresh (4 hours)
>          1800  ; retry (30 mins)