Not quite the FAQ

Lisa Burke lburke at once.com
Mon Aug 14 22:42:59 UTC 2000

Paul -

I just installed named 8.2.2P5 on a number of Solaris 2.7 servers.  Instead
of installing a compiler on each server and running through the whole
process on a dozen servers, I compiled on one, packaged it up with Sun's
package management system, zipped it up, then ftp'd over from each machine.
You can find information on this at sun.com searching for key word
"prototype".

Of course this was worth the effort up front as I had so many instances of
named to install, and I already had a machine up and running ftp.

I've not ever replaced bind 4 with 8, so I'll refrain from giving you
untested advise on that.

Regards,

Lisa Burke
Unix Systems Administrator