Not quite the FAQ

M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com
Tue Aug 15 00:03:03 UTC 2000

This is not as difficult as it may seem.  You have two options.

Look at the pkgmap file in the distribution you downloaded.  It has a
listing of all the files and where they should go on your system.  you can
edit this file and comment out all the lines with files you don't want (or
remove them).  You can then run the install from an NFS mount if you don't
have the disk space to copy the package to local disk.  You could also
delete any file  from the root/ directory of the package after you removed
it's line from the pkgmap and then transfer a smaller package to your dns
server to install.  You may also just use this as a list of files that you
need to install and where they might go.

If you would rather use the one you compiled.  First make sure you compiled
it on the same version of Solaris.   You can then run 'make install'  on
the DNS server over an NFS mount to the server you compiled it on ('make'
should be in /usr/ccs/bin, add this to your $PATH if necessary).  You could
also trace through the Makefiles to see what make install does (not for the
faint of heart as this jumps all over).

For the rest of your questions:

You can edit /etc/init.d/inetsvcs  -- What /etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvcs is hard
linked to -- to use the right files.  If you create a new file like
S72named instead, remember that the docs say the order of execution is not
necessarily deterministic and that early parts of S72inetsvcs reset your
LAN interfaces.

something like the following would work (modify paths and/or name of
"named" as desired to match your install)  All this says is: if the named
binary and the named.conf file exist run the binary.

if [ -f /usr/local/bin/named -a -f /etc/named.conf ]; then
  /usr/local/bin/named
  echo "starting internet domain name server."
fi

As far as ndc.  NDC provides control for the name server through a socket.
Solaris has a socket security problem so I just don't use it.  See the
Security note near the top of the src/README file in the distribution for
details on how to set it up if you so desire.  I get along fine without it.
(New bell + whisle I don't need as I manage a very small domain that has
very few modifications).  Sun has also chosen to leave ndc out of it's
'official' distribution of bind on Solaris 7 and 8.  If you want to use it,
just make sure you set the enviroment/permisions up properly.

Mike

--
Mike Ashcraft, Sr. Network Engineer
epixtech, Inc.
M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com

                    Paul Neubauer
                    <prn at bsu.edu>        To:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    news at portal.b        Subject:     Not quite the FAQ
                    su.edu

                    08/14/00
                    12:57 PM

[I hope this does not show up twice, but I don't think it will. After
I tried to submit this, I checked and found that we were misconfigured
and had comp.protocols.dns.bind as unmoderated.  I reconfigured and am
trying again. I doubt that my first try will propagate, but I
apologize in case it somehow does.]

I know this is going to sound like a FAQ, but it really is not the
same and is not answered by the FAQ. I have read the "Facts and FAQs"
posted on this newsgroup and checked the archives, but a search at the
ISC archives with "solaris" as keyword produced only an "Internal
Server Error".

I am trying to figure out how to install the latest BIND on a couple
of Solaris 2.6 boxes.

Our DNS machines are a couple of old SparcStation 2s that aren't much
good for much else, but do just fine as DNS servers. We do want to
update the DNS software, though.  The problem is just what do I do to
accomplish that.  These boxes have minimal disk space and, in
particular, no compilers. I have another machine available with space
and compilers (both Sun and gcc), so I can do the build there. In
fact, following src/INSTALL, I have already done
$ make stdlinks
$ make clean
$ make depend
$ make all

I don't see much point to "make install", however because this box is
not where I need it. I need to find the required files and move them
to the correct directories on the DNS servers.  It does not look like
I ought to just move, e.g., ./bin/named/named  to /usr/sbin/in.named
or ./bin/named-xfer/named-xfer to /usr/sbin/named-xfer on the DNS box.
There appear to be library files to install. Are these programs linked
to them?

Also, just what do I do about startup.  In the current version,
/etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc contains:

if [ -f /usr/sbin/in.named -a -f /etc/named.boot ]; then
  /usr/sbin/in.named
  echo "starting internet domain name server."
fi

So it should be clear that I can just convert named.boot to the
appropriate named.conf and remove named.boot, which will keep the old
/usr/sbin/in.named from starting, but what then?  I can obviously
create a similar startup file for the new stuff, but what goes into
it? The FAQ mantions something called "ndc", which, I assume is what I
now have under ./bin/ndc/ndc. Where do I put it and how do I start it?
Does it start all the required services (e.g., named-xfer)?  INSTALL
mentions something about "editing ndc", but it is a binary file, not a
text file.

I did snarf the bind-8.2.2-P5-sol26-sparc-local package from
sunfreeware.com, but that's a 66 MB package with everything, including
sources, docs and contrib, none of which I need, want or have disk
space for. I need/can use/can fit only the binaries themselves.

I would be most grateful for any clues you can spare. I will monitor
the newsgroup, but our newsfeed has been known to be flakey at times
and Murphy's laws have been extremely reliable in that whenever I post
an important plea for help, the newsfeed goes south, so I would be
very grateful for e-mail copies of any posted replies.

adv10Qance,

     Paul
Paul Neubauer          prn at bsu.edu
http://home.bsu.edu/prn/