Not quite the FAQ

G. Roderick Singleton gsingleton at home.com
Sat Aug 19 11:22:55 UTC 2000

Paul Neubauer wrote:

> In comp.protocols.dns.bind, gsingleton at home.com wrote...
> >Paul Neubauer wrote:
> >><snip>
> >> I am trying to figure out how to install the latest BIND on a couple
> >> of Solaris 2.6 boxes.
> >><snip>
> >
> >Are you aware that with Sun's Patch-ID #105755-07 or better you have the
> >pretty much the same features as ISC bind-8.2.2? Sure would be
> >a solution to your problem and it's part of the 2.6 Patch Cluster.
>
> No, I wasn't aware of that. I have installed that patch, in fact, but
> the zone transfers involving the [expletive deleted] M$ W2k stuff are
> still not working properly and I was under the impression that 8.2.2
> was intended (in part) to work with the MS service records for DNS.

Too bad about the MicroCrap stuff ;-(

> In any case, I think we have, thanks to several good people whom I
> have tried to thank individually, a viable path through the mire, now.
> So thanks to you all, both individually and collectively. :-)

I keep old messages and found the following from Barry Finlel which may
be of some use to you. e.g. as it has to do with disabling an MS
'feature':

> Gareth Bromley wrote:
>
> >If you have a number of Win2K machines, with statically allocated IP
> >addresses, will Win2K still attempt to register A and PTR records for
> >themselves?
>
> I have posted this before, I believe.  A Win2k box, either workstation
> or server, will by default try to register itself.  You can turn off
> this self-registration via
>
>     To see what options are set:
>     Start
>          Settings
>                Network and Dialup
>                      Local Area
>                            Properties
>                                 Adapter
>                                      Protocols
>                                           TCP/IP
>                                                     DNS
>     The "Register this name" box should NOT be checked.
>     If you need to uncheck the box, then you must reboot for the change
>     to take effect.
>
> Once a self-registration has completed successfully, the Win2k box
> will attempt another self-registration at these events (according to a
> MS web page [the URL of which I will send in a subsequent posting])
>
>     every 24 hours
>     when the computer is rebooted
>     when the computer's IP configuration changes
>     when any plug-and-play event occurs
>
> On our Win2k testbed, I was seeing self-registrations at these intervals
> a few days after the one self-registration completed successfully:
>
>       5 minutes
>      10 minutes
>      60 minutes
>       5 minutes ...
>
> I assume that the MS code expects the MS DNS "scavenger" code to be
> running; that code might unregister the computer if it is off of the
> network.  In my testing, I allowed only ONE sef-registration to succeed;
> I wanted to get a trace of the DNS update packets.

G. Roderick Singleton, <gsingleton at home.com> PATH tech,
71 Underhill Drive, Unit 159, Toronto, ON  M3A 2J8
Voice : 416-452-4583 Fax: 416-452-0036 Toll Free: 1-888-354-PATH

*** Notice To Bulk Emailers: Attention!  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any & all unsolicited commercial e-mail
sent to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of the $1500 US and copies will be forwarded to domain
administrators.  Emailing denotes acceptance of said terms!