forwarders

Gerald Waugh gerald at waugh.com
Tue Aug 15 00:22:19 UTC 2000

 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote;
> > Gerald Waugh wrote:
> <snip>
> > Would it be an advantageous to configure my name servers to use my ISP's
> > name servers using the "forwarders" or "options" statements?
> <snip>
 > Generally,
 > though, if you have a reasonably fast connection and no routing problems, it
 > makes more sense to just resolve your own queries over the Internet than to
> use someone else's nameserver -- if a given name and associated referral
> information doesn't happen to be in the cache of your ISP's nameserver at any
> given time, then you may be just *adding* latency by querying it indirectly
> through them.

Gerald writes;
Thanks to all that responded, my nameservers are working fine, and the general
consensus seems to be to run my nameservers independent of the ISP. I do need
to get my ISP to delegate authority for my small block of IP address (/28) so
the reverse lookups resolve to my domain names rather than my ISP.