negative response cache (qti)

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Aug 15 01:33:58 UTC 2000

> I understand that the negative response from my dns server (such
> as non exist host) will be cached on the customers' dns servers.
> This means even after I add the host to my dns, the users
> out there on the Internet may still get "no such host".
> my question is what I can do to make this cache as short (time)
> as possible. which ttl controls that?
> thanks! frank

	SOA minimum field.  See RFC 2308.

	Not that this is generally a problem w/ NXDOMAIN.  Generally
	people do not ask names they do not know about so nothing
	is cached in the first place.  It only becomes a problem
	when you advertise a machine *before* it exists in the DNS,
	or your secondaries are not keeping up to date.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com