problem: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS ()

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Aug 17 17:58:28 UTC 2000

    Jens> A primary hidden ns in the intranet that holds master zones
    Jens> and two other ns that are accessible from the internet an
    Jens> hold the slave zones. These ns query the primary hidden ns
    Jens> in the intranet and put their files in /vane/named.

    Jens> Now I get errors from the hidden dns:

    Jens> sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (SUNIC.SUNET.SE)
    Jens> sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (DNS.NIC.XLINK.NET)
    Jens> sysquery: no addrs found for root NS ()

    Jens> The hidden dns shouldn't query any other ns. Why do I get
    Jens> these messages? I wonder why it asks servers like
    Jens> SUNIC.SUNET.SE and DNS.NIC.XLINK.NET

    Jens> The root-servers in named.cache are out-commented.

This is the problem. Every name server needs to know about the root
servers. It has to query them to find out about the root zone and, by
implication, the whole name space. You shouldn't tamper with the
contents of named.cache: like commenting out or editing entries in the
file. I guess you're using a *very* old version of that file that
referred to some root servers by their historical names - like
sunic.sunet.se. [Nowadays, the 13 root name servers are called
[a-m].root-servers.net. Pick up an up to date version of root.cache
from ftp.rs.internic.net.] The root.cache file you're using seems to
be missing the addresses of those servers, hence the complaints. It
also looks as if your name server is unable to resolve those names,
presumably because it does not know the addresses of the root servers
or can't send queries to them.

    Jens> Here are some parts of my configuration in named.conf of the
    Jens> hidden ns:

What you showed doesn't help. First of all, you concealed IP
addresses, not that these were relevant this time anyway. [Why do
people think that hiding the actual domain names and IP addresses
helps to diagnose the cause of their DNS problem?] Secondly, you
didn't show any zone{} statements or relevant zone files: in this case
named.cache and its corresponding zone{} statement. These are probably
what's needed to identify the problem. There's no point in showing an
irrelevant snippet of named.conf and then mangling that so that what
we see is different from what your name server sees. Next time, please
show the file *exactly* as it is.