Cache vs Primary

Manjeet Rekhi Manjeet.Rekhi at kellogg.com
Thu Dec 7 15:22:58 UTC 2000

Hello Admins,

My internal DNS server is running on an HP server (named version is 4.9.7). Its
named.boot file has following entries (apart from other entries):

cache     .    root
forwarders     x.x.x.x
options forward-only

The root file has following entries:

. 999999999 IN NS Fully-Qualified-HP-Server-Name.
Fully-Qualified-HP-Server-Name. 999999999 IN A IP-Address-Of-HP-Server

Can I use 'primary' option instead of  'cache' option in my named.boot file? I
want my Server to resolve internet-server names. My doubt is that if I use
'primary' option, named may not look at forwarders entry. This server is not
directly on internet but is connected to x.x.x.x (gateway server) which is on
internet.

Any help will be welcome!
...Manjeet